Monday, December 15, 2008

Teens are Adults

It's funny to think the responsibility that high school students seem to have. They drive. They work. They almost control all aspect of their lives. If they don't want to do something they don't; it's as simple as that.

Teenagers are faced with these insane adult decisions every day. Should I go to this party or stay at home where I know I'm safe? Should I drive too fast because it sounds fun? Should I skip work to do something I want to or go because they need me there? The way teens handle themselves in these situations really shows the character and person they have matured to be. Now, maybe not everyone has reached their "maturity" level yet, who's to say.

I think it's crazy that as a teenager I had to decide to get a job and work on the night of home rival basketball game or call off, maybe even not get job at all. I think it's crazy that at the age of 18 I have to decide where I want to get the education that with further my career and, wow, even pick a career.

Adults always say that teens don't "understand" but I really think we do. We are faced with huge decisions daily that will effect our lives and can hold adult consequences. We have to take responsibility for our actions and decisions and act as if we really are adults. I think we do understand, I think some of us understand more than adults do sometimes.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree. I hate it when my parents still act like I'm a little kid and I dont understand "adult" things. It gets annoying because I really do understand pretty much everything they are talking about and when i try to chime in, they just shoo me away like Im stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just get ignored when I have to say something. Anyway, I think that if parents started treating their kids more like adults when they are teenagers then those kids would be prepared to make better decisions. They would also have more self confidence in the decisions they make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I strongly agree. I am going through some things currently in my life and lets say i havent made the right decision. My mother acts like i dont understand what it means to grow up and take my responsibilty like an adult. I know I face some decisions that may need me to react as if I am an adult. There are decisions that we face almost everyday that can make or break our futures. And to me that is like us being adults.

    ReplyDelete